A long time later....
The patchwork blanket is, at last, finished! I have never had so many ends to sew in on a single project (and that includes all of my colourwork). Sixty-three colour patches makes a total of 126 ends - and 54 little seams. I still think it was quicker to do it this way though, than struggle with the intarsia. Fortunately "The English Patient" is a long film and saw me through from this point photographed, to the bitter end. It's also fortunate that I've read the book as I watched that film several times before without understanding the plot at all.
And this is the final object - much prettier than it looked while working it.
Colour work can be a bit like that can't it? I often find I have a lovely looking selection of colours in the skeins, and then they start to lose their appeal when knitted up in small patches, the colours look unbalanced or dull or odd. Then you get to the end, fling it over a chair, and it's just how you saw it in the first place.
It's a bit warm now for the baby to need a blanket but he has to go everywhere with it anyway so that I can admire it.
I'm still on kiddy knitting but I am starting to think ahead to something for myself. No specific ideas yet but I did like the spring Rowan magazine.
I've some colours of Rowan All Seasons Cotton in blues and greens for which I was looking for the right pattern for my older boy - I had thought of a plain Debbie Bliss sweater. Now I've spent a few months with a two year old I'm starting to understand why all the children's clothes in the shops are festooned with applique, embroidery, cartoon characters and general embellishment - it's just an attempt to get them to spit out a word. If he says "ball" because there's a football pattern on his little socks - who am I to complain? (On that theory his next word might be "Gap" though). So I've swung a little towards knitting something with a Design - and I think that "Double Scoop" from knitty might be ideal. I've never seen a green ice cream so I've perused "Style your own kids knits" at length and narrowed it down to a fish or a tractor. I am a bit short of oddments in All Seasons Cotton for intarsia, but I expect I could use some other yarns doubled. At the moment I'm hedging my bets by knitting the plain back, but looking forward to the stripy sleeves.
Stripes must be this year's thing though, as my other project on the go (nearly mindless knitting) is a Debbie Bliss project. I'm taking a tiny risk on the Baby Cashmerino that it will wear a LOT better than the in-my-experience-only bobbling Cashmerino Aran. The weight is just perfect, not too fine, not too thick, and the colours really good this season. I went into Solihull's John Lewis with the idea to knit this hooded top from the first Baby Cashmerino book, and they had it as one of their knitted samples! I took that as a Sign, but of course we don't go in for ecru and pink here. I settled on these two colours that will bring out the little one's blue eyes:
That is, teal and not-the-darkest deep blue. It knits up so evenly on my Addi Turbos, like a machine. Trying to be realistic about the likely progress, I've gone for at least a size too big as they are growing VERY fast.